Saved By Grace

Saved By Grace
Born-Again

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Delusions from a Hospital Bed

I am very thankful for the love expressed to my wife, daughter, and family, especially during the 1st 5 months after my accident. This Scripture means a lot to me today.
1 Corinthians 13
13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

 In place of a joke, I'm posting some of the wild things that I thought I was experiencing during the 1st 3 months after my accident.


My mother-in-law and I were discussing something and I recalled one of those "nightmares". She suggested that I write some of them down so that others may understand what someone under heavy sedation may be experiencing.
My 1st "memory" post accident was waking up in a room full of hospital beds. I sat up in bed and announced that I was ready for some coffee. A nurse came close to my bed and said; what do you think this is, a restaurant. 

I remember talking to my dad and he was wearing a monocle, yes a monocle. We were underneath a very large billboard along the side of a highway. 
Next we were on a small cruise ship. The vessel was full of people in distress, just like me. Evidently the purpose was to find 2 people who were healthy enough to receive treatment for their injuries. I was one of the 2 that was chosen. They then moved me into a house with 6-8 other critically injured people. We were in bunk beds that were in the corners of a large room. I watched as a doctor began to work on a young lady who was in the bunk above me. After a minute or 2 the doctor left and the young lady's arm fell over the edge of the bed. I knew for certain that he had done something to take her life. I spoke to Cheri and told her the doctor was a very bad man. I think that I may have caused that man to be transferred to a different patient.
I smelled a very strong odor of new fiberglass and resin. On the wall hanging like a picture was a very large Scarab cigarette boat that was cut in half lengthways.
I have many more memories that occurred in the 1st 3 months of my 5 month stay. I may post a few more at some other time.



Much love, Dennis

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand. Daddy was in the hospital intensive care in Enid and he was sure they were plotting to kill him and he wanted me to go to the house and get many guns so we could shoot our way out. It was pretty bad for a couple of weeks. TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought sure the RT was abusing him some way.

    ReplyDelete