Saved By Grace

Saved By Grace
Born-Again

Thursday, May 2, 2013

audio-video and God



I had the opportunity today to listen to some teaching from T.D. Jakes.


He posed a theoretical question. What if all of your thoughts and imaginations were broadcast through a megaphone or displayed on a screen every time you thought about something or someone. How many people would you be willing to talk to face-to-face. My answer was, Thank God it's just a hypothetical question. He then explained that there is someone who knows your thoughts and imaginations, even before you think them, God in the form of the Holy Spirit. I know that to be true, but there are way too many times that I ignore that, or delay responding to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. However his example was like dropping a bowling ball on my toes.
I'm going to try to remember his example and work on getting those negative thoughts and imaginations under control. I know that I can't do that on my own, but with help from the Holy Spirit I can do better. I'm not yet where I need to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be.


I remember reading a story about Abe Lemons, player and later head coach at Oklahoma City University. I found it in a magazine and this is supposedly a quote. He was trying to get the attention of an official during a basketball game. The official, his friend, was named Billy. Apparently Mr. Lemons didn't agree with a call.

 It is Abe Lemons screaming during one game out of the thousands he has coached in his 40-year career, and here college basketball`s resident philosopher/wit is trying to get the attention of an official.

Billy, Billy, Billy:
That man, an acquaintance, finally does sidle over, and here Lemons asks, ``Billy, can you give me a technical for what I`m thinking?``
``No, Abe. I can`t.``

``In that case,`` says Lemons, ``I`m thinking you`re an S.O.B."

Much Love, Dennis

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dennis, I don't know about anyone else, but I have on many occasions said out loud and in my mind, "God, please forgive me for what I was thinking." I know that except for God, it could be me drawing such negative attention to myself. And many, many times I pray, "God please forgive me for thoughts, deeds and sins that I have committed that I have not recognized as a sin in your eyes." Dennis, my dear friend, we have to accept that we are not perfect and we will fall short, but we do have the perfect God and he knows us as we will never know ourselves.

    Love and prayers for you and Cheri.

    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one on Lemons! He was always a hero of mine. I sat by him on a plane to Denver one time and it was an engaging and interesting visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you say, thank God it's a hypothetical question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a man thinks..... Whew! Thank God for His mercy and grace !

    ReplyDelete